Fast By Default: Modern Loading Best Practices
- Mobile has changed everything from a UX point of view
- Factors that impact loading time, best practices for loading
- Important metric: time to interactive (the number of seconds before the user can make useful actions on the page)
- Test your web apps on average hardware as well, not just high-end devices.
- Every member of the team is responsible for performance.
- Recipe for building good websites
- Develop on an average phone
- Keep JS parse and eval low
- Have a performance budget (time to interactive in less than 5 seconds)
- Performance budget tools: Calibre, Speedcurve, Bundlesize
- Chrome User Experience Report
- “Progressive web apps are the new normal.”
- People are reluctant to install apps, mobile web gets stronger.
- Overview for the new PWAs by Pinterest and Tinder (both are based on React)
- Webpack Bundle Analyzer
- Improving performance is a journey. Lots of small changes can lead to big gains.
- MOM: Measure, Optimize, Monitor
Real World WebAssembly
- WebAssembly is for building high-performance code and running it inside your application.
- Almost runs on native speed and also highly secure.
- Compiling the official JPEG library to a WebAssembly module, running a JPEG transcoder in the browser
- Overview of Scirra Construct3 (a full featured web-based game editor)
- Future features of WebAssembly (threads, improved support for debugging, garbage collection)
- WebAssembly is ready for prime-time production applications.